Collisions of vessels and other shipping accidents mostly have considerable financial consequences. And not only the damaged vessel then is a main point of interest but also the disputes arising out of the loss or damage of the cargo. Damage by sea of an ocean vessel leads to numerous implications not only on the legal plane, which makes it indispensable to have an expert at your side.
In addition damage to the environment caused by the vessel may lead to a liability case. In case of collisions preliminary investigations by the authorities will follow very quickly and in this connection a quick reaction and corresponding advice of a lawyer who is well informed in the matter is necessary. We can
- give you a helping hand to ascertain the facts and to take care for the conservation of evidence,
- advise on the maritime casualty investigation (Seesicherheitsuntersuchungsgesetz = law to improve the maritime security by investigating maritime casualties)
- assist you in criminal investigation proceedings,
- give advice for the salvage (towing charges and pilot charges)
- manage the claim adjustment after collisions and find out the correct jurisdiction place.
- help you securing hull insurance claims
- support you for loss of profit and with claims for loss of use after ship collisions and sea damage.
Important German legal provisions in this regard are „Kollisionsverhütungsregeln (KVR)“ – law on the prevention of collisions, „Seeschifffahrtsstraßen-Ordnung (SeeSchStrO)“ – regulations for navigable maritime waterways – and Binnenschifffahrtsstraßen-Ordnung (BinSchStrO) – regulations for inland waterways.
When two ocean vessel collide, the following disputes on liability are mostly settled out of court. In a few cases legal proceedings are necessary and only in extraordinary cases arbitration proceedings are started in Germany.
Dieser Artikel wurde am 31. March 2015 erstellt. Er wurde am 13. April 2019 aktualisiert